Monday, April 02, 2007

Retrospect and Redirection

It is true what they say “hind-sight is 50/50”. Those “they” sure are smart, and get credit for many wondrous sayings. I should really start up a group like that... we couldn’t be “they” as they have already taken that name. We could be “them” but I think “them” is also taken by an offshoot of “they”.... I’ll think on that and get back to you.

Anyways, back to my point of retrospect being flawless. If you haven’t noticed (but I’m sure you have) I’ve been quite the miserable cunt as of late (and not in the yeast infection kind of way). I’ve wrote my share of useless blogs complaining of Winterpeg-this and Yuckton-that, but all in all useless still. Now, I could have just deleted those entries, leaving only those that reflect the grandiosity that is “brendawg”, but it is a much more prominent statement to leave them in....imposing their shame. I, like most, have been guilty of getting so wrapped up in their own lives that nothing else matters.

Now, there are those who relish in suffering, they whine and moan about all that is wrong with their lives, health, relationships, etc etc, until just the sound of their own whining and moaning is a sort of satisfaction. We all know those (or have been those) who have had pleasure in the fact that no one else can possibly have an existence as wretched as theirs. Sure, it may have not gone to that far of an extent, but it was there nonetheless. This is where the “one-upping” a friend/colleague/family member about how much worse your life is compared to theirs comes into play. It almost makes it seem as though merely existing is a chore for these people, yet they continue to do so, just so that they can complain about that too. This remarkable fact was dually inspired by 1) Dostoevsky’s “Notes from the Underground” – which you should be reading/have read and also 2) http://songs-about-ghosts.blogspot.com Lance has got this lessen cased already. Which is why next you’ll click on the link and see exactly what I’m talking about!

So that is one aspect of the issue, but there is another, and that is the shear ignorance to the fact that there millions of other people on this Earth. While being balled-up in one’s own existence and agonizing over our petty issues we are indirectly negating the fact that there is a world outside of your own head. There is an entire globe of people that don’t know who you are and more importantly, don’t care. In the realistic view, I don’t really matter, you, also, don’t really matter. So then what does matter? I don’t think I’m in any way qualified to answer that one for anyone but myself.

I’m not saying that everyone should spend every moment agonizing over the everyone else rather then themselves and give to the “good cause” all that you have, don’t get me wrong here! But I do believe that there is a happy medium in which I can live my life being content with what I have, yet still have goals and motivation to better my life in the future, all the while being conscious of my effect on others. Just as I can still go out with my friends on a Tuesday evening and have a few drinks, or even a few too many, but still make time for charity. I guess what I am trying to relate is the fact that one can still have the same life they already have, no grand changes have to be made in order to find a feeling of contentment. Taking a few steps back and re-evaluating one’s perception and focusing on a clearer outlook may be all that is necessary.

As for me, I only had to read back a few lines to see the gross ineptness of my previous focus. Personally, I wouldn’t want to be friends with a girl that miserable, let alone be that girl. As us pharmacy kids would say, that was balls.

Major balls.

So to end this mystical journey through the human psyche and the state of existence, I’ll leave you with a quote from someone brilliant (although I have no idea who said it, but I’m quoting it anyway) and a picture stolen from the interweb.


“Be the change you want to see in the world.”


4 comments:

Mike said...

I think they actually say 'hindsight is 20/20' but I like the message of this post nonetheless.

I agree that you have to find the few things in life that make you appreciate how luck you are. Working in healthcare can be depressing sometimes but you have to find those few rays of sunshine that tell you that you're doing something of value and that whatever is going wrong in your day, you wouldn't want to change places with the people you are supposed to be helping.

Rock on, Brendawg and see you tomorrow in the Top Secret location.

Anonymous said...

They would say that.... damn them. But I kinda like 50/50 better, its better than perfect vision.. its like with a magnifying glass or some shit like that....

And so be it, the word of "brendawg": Hindsight is 50/50!

Mike said...

And so be it that we all retrospect. But today is April 1t and it be two weeks since your last update. So needless to say, update this bitch, bitch.

Aight?

Mike said...

Seriously now, I'm giving you the stink eye and shaking the proverbial fist. Get writing.