Monday, April 23, 2007

Glucuronidation makes me ill

So today at work/lab/SPEP/paying-to-work-for-free......... I spent most of my day playing with pee. Fun, I know! And not even my own pee, other people’s pee. Some of whose kidneys are pretty much shot based on the fact that they clearly are leaking like a sieve. The good ol’ ‘is it pee or is it blood? game. Anyways, the project itself is actually pretty cool. As many of you know, Benzo’s are primarily metabolized by glucuronidation and excreted in the urine. For those of you that don’t know.... you probably won’t find this interesting. Anyways, so today I was running positive benzo samples on the GC to see if there were better results if the samples were hydrolyzed before testing. To de-gluc... or un-gluc... them I guess. But the hydrolyzed enzyme smelt about a hundred times worse than the samples themselves. I think something being stinker than rancid pee is not so much of a good time.... I’m going to go drink some pepto now....

3 comments:

Mike said...

At least you were just analyzing the urinary excretion route. I bet it stinks a lot worse when its excreted in bile. If you catch my drift.... ie poop.

Lance said...

write about something. i want to hear some new adventures of you as a pharmacist.. plus i need something to read here in regina.. thanks friend.

Lance said...

you should really continue with this, if you can find the time now... i know you're busy. i started a new one:

thoughtsoflance.blogspot.com

good times.